This project is now finished. Limited editions books available at the Cardiff Collective, numbered and signed.
If you live overseas you can find the following:
The Perfume of Books is available online as print on demand from Lulu.com
The Secret Life of Watermarks is available at Amazon.com
Coming late 2018: Factotums and Fleurons – see what it’s about on Youtube
Three years in the making; over 9000 photos through which to sift; over 200 books examined, prodded and sniffed. These books have revealed their secret watermarks to me. Everyone should get to see them.
The first is The Perfume of Books, a descriptive catalogue of the various bindings from books in the Rare Book Stack. The second is the Secret Life of Watermarks, a photo essay on around 500 watermarks captured in these books. These books date between 1470 and 1840, chosen somewhat randomly.
Project consists of:
- Compiling data – photos of bindings and watermarks need to be well described so that bookbinders, bibliophiles, booksellers and generally speaking all book lovers can understand what they see equally;
- researching history and background of watermarks in books and online databases;
- editing and design of books and covers;
- fully indexed;
- printing up to 100 sets of sheets;
- buying materials for hand binding;
- handbinding the sheets to make up to 100 unique editions;
- print on demand is a fact of life; people will be able to purchase books online as eBook or print on demand. (late 2017)
- buying time to do said editing and binding
The books are rich in colour photographs, exciting to the eye and the imagination. They will answer the questions of the curious and are a perfect tool for the antiquarian bookseller.
The Kickstarter campaign raised $5000 and helped me achieve my goal of getting these two books bound by March 2017. This will coincide with the National Bookbinding Conference to be held in Canberra.
If you are interested, watch this space for news on how I am progressing.
The Perfume of Books by Erika Mordek is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The Secret Life of Watermarks by Erika Mordek is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.