New Oriental binding – project 4

I first read about the New Oriental binding in the Bonefolder. (as an aside I really do admire that magazine). Sometimes I do believe I am set in my ways: why invent something that is nearly oriental? I suppose the answer is: because we can. Anyhoo. I didn’t give it much thought until I was searching for a new way of putting together single section pamphlets.  I also wanted something relatively quick. Monique Lallier’s instructions were easy to understand and I had a project that required pamphlet sewing. This is the result:

Tango manual

Tango manual

At a recent Canberra Craft bookbinders’ Guild meeting we were discussing how to pull down a book. We had also been asked to bring some previous work so that members had the opportunity to view different work. I brought my little tango manual in its orange New Oriental binding. Being inspired to try something new, a few weeks after that meeting Beverly sent me these pictures of her own book:

This year however I had a project for which I was lacking in ideas. My friend Andrea obtained an eBook version of my favourite children’s book. I reprinted it to my own specifications. It now has many sections. I have a penchant for making dos a dos bindings. After 3 projects runs, I settled on New Oriental binding.

Each section required a guard to be sewn with it.

 

The guard is then filled with compensation card to the thickness of the pamphlet; using calipers is good for this. What you are making are stubs that you will then glue together to form a block.  The next stage is to cover them before glueing on the cover. Add an endpaper. This is glued onto the stub. You could add the end paper to the stub before covering. I think that is neater.(and more secure)

The covers are the oriental part; spine part and cover held together with a thin strip, about 5 mm apart to allow for joint movement; you would then cover and infill at leisure before glueing onto spine stub I made these paste papers for the covers and the end papers;

 

At this stage I would recommend piling the whole thing together and trimming in an electric guillotine if available. If not, trim by hand now so that you know that everything is square and the correct size. I found out the hard way that my covers were not quite square or the right size. If your stubs are slightly uneven they will show under the covering and won’t look so neat. I like the idea that there is no square.

 

This is called project 4 because it has taken me this many times to get it right before I undertake the final version.

To finish this post, here are some details of project 4:

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under bookbinding

One response to “New Oriental binding – project 4

  1. Pingback: Lesson learned in the bindery today | Bookish Things to think about

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s